This Tomato Soup is the Best You’ll Taste (1.7 Million People Agree)
Tomato soup is a favorite of many people during the colder winter months. Not only does it warm the soul, but tomatoes have a ton of important nutrients too! Of course, you can always buy it from the store, but this homemade soup tastes so much better.
Plus, store-bought soups contain a shocking amount of salt and additives that make you feel heavy and bloated. Not to mention, it feels better if you eat something you make yourself.
This tomato soup recipe just calls for a few simple ingredients that you probably already have. It also doesn’t require lengthy preparation or cooking time, making it a perfect mid-week dinner. If you are a tomato soup lover, this is sure to become your new favorite recipe!
The tomato soup recipe will rock your taste buds.
What you will need to make this tomato soup:
- Cutting board
- Small bowl
- Tray or baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Big pot
- Immersion hand mixer
Ingredients for the soup:
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Sliced red pepper
- Sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 container of vegetable broth
- Soy cream or regular
Ingredients for butter spread for French bread:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- a clove of garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Get out your cutting board and cut six medium tomatoes in half. Make sure to remove the stems and place them on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Also place six cloves of garlic on the leaf. Next, generously sprinkle the tomatoes and garlic with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on top of both and then roast for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove only the garlic from the pan. Add a sliced red bell pepper (whole slices) and half a small sliced red onion. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and olive oil over these and roast for another 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Now, cut your loaf of French bread. Lay out another sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, take out the ingredients for the butter spread. After softening the butter, cut a clove of garlic very finely. Then finely dice a few sprigs of parsley and mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread generously over French bread and toast in oven until golden brown. (You may want to save this step until the end, so your bread is still warm.)
- Now, take the roasted tomatoes, the red onion and the bell pepper and place them in a large pot. Add the dried basil, more salt and pepper, and vegetable broth. Stir with a spoon and then bring the liquid to a bowl.
- Use a handheld (immersion) blender to create tomato soup. Add 1/2 cup of soy or regular cream and stir with a spoon.
- Pour the desired amount into a bowl, garnish with basil, and serve with your Garlic Butter French Bread. Enjoy this delicious hot meal!
Health benefits of tomato soup
This dish not only tastes amazing, but it also packs tons of nutrients and antioxidants. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to settle for bland foods, and this one is no exception! Tomato soup has a ton of flavor while giving your body essential vitamins and minerals.
Here are some health benefits of this delicious soup:
- Just one raw tomato contains about 25% of your recommended daily value for vitamin C. In addition, scientists say that cooking tomatoes increases their bioavailability of nutrients. Therefore, you can consume even more vitamins when preparing the soup.
- Tomatoes have a lot of lycopene. This is a type of carotenoid that protects against diseases like cancer and heart disease. A raw tomato contains a whopping 80% of the daily value for lycopene.
- They also have flavonoids and vitamins C and E, other antioxidants that reduce inflammation and the risk of disease.
- Consuming lycopene and beta-carotene, which are also found in tomato soup, is linked to healthy skin and vision.
- Eating tomatoes is also associated with better bone health. The lycopene found in tomatoes slows down bone cell death, supports bone structure, and keeps bones strong.
- Tomatoes help lower blood pressure and improve the functioning of good cholesterol. Again, the researchers attribute this to the high antioxidant and nutrient profile of tomatoes.
- Interestingly, scientists have found that tomatoes increase male fertility. Oxidative stress has been linked to sperm damage and male infertility. Because tomatoes have a large amount of lycopene, which reduces free radicals, this is believed to increase sperm count.
- It is not surprising, tomato soup helps boost the immune system. When you are sick, you naturally have cravings for hot foods like soup. Vitamin C, found in large amounts in tomatoes, helps fight colds and allergies. So next time you’re sick, make some tomato soup to boost your immunity.
Fun Facts About Tomatoes
- Tomatoes originally come from Peru, according to historians.
- the bigger tomato ever picked up weighed around 3.5kg and came from Oklahoma in 1986.
- The official state drink in Ohio is tomato juice because they love it!
- There are about 10,000 types of tomatoes around the world.
- The world’s largest tomato plant was found at Walt Disney World in Florida. It measured 56.73 square meters, which is bigger than a lap pool!
Final thoughts: tomato soup is an easy and delicious meal on a cold night
Whether you have a cold or want to warm up on a frigid night, tomato soup will hit the spot. It doesn’t take long to prepare and you only need a few homemade ingredients. Plus, tomatoes have amazing health benefits, which means you can enjoy a meal without feeling guilty.
The side French bread goes great dipped in soup or simply eaten on its own. You can use store bought butter if you want, but it’s more fun to make your own spread! Also, you can add salty ingredients like garlic or other herbs that you like. Let us know what you think of this delicious meal!