Broccoli cream may not look appealing as summer approaches. However, if you need comfort food, this soup will hit the spot. Broccoli soup contains many health benefits and pairs well with other dishes like salad or pasta.
Cream of broccoli it has a rich, pureed texture, similar to tomato basil soup.
This soup can be a meal on its own or served alongside family favorites like casseroles, lasagna, or chicken dishes. It takes less than 30 minutes to make, so you can even make it overnight. No matter how you choose to serve this Broccoli Cream, we hope you enjoy it!
Here’s how to make this healthy broccoli cream:
What you will need:
- Cutting board
- Large soup pot
- Wooden spoon
- Baking sheet
- Hand mixer (immersion mixer)
- 2 medium broccoli heads
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium potato
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- 5 cups of hot vegetable broth
- Two bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- French baguette (or whatever bread you like)
- Softened butter
- Fresh parsley
Instructions for making cream of broccoli:
- Dice the carrots, onion, and potato, then cut the ends of the broccoli. Finely chop the two garlic cloves.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of the large pot. Turn the heat to low and add the onions, simmering until lightly browned. Then add the garlic, cooking for a few minutes.
- Next, add the potato and carrots, cooking until slightly soft.
- Finally, add the broccoli, tossing it around the pot to coat it well with the oil.
- Now, pour in the vegetable broth. Make sure to heat it up beforehand, so it’s hot.
- Then add the bay leaves and bring the soup to a boil.
- Next, add the cup of frozen peas. Mix them with a spoon and allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now, take your French baguette or bread of choice and slice it up. Place on your baking sheet.
- Combine a stick of softened butter and fresh parsley in a small bowl. Add the minced garlic and use a small spoon to mix it with the butter.
- Spread a little on the bread slices and bake at 390 degrees F for 15 minutes (until the crust is crisp).
- Now back to Cream of broccoli. Use tongs to remove the bay leaves and remove the soup from the heat.
- Use your hand blender to mix the soup well until it has a thick, creamy texture.
- Serve and decorate with cream and parsley. Enjoy your meal!
If you’re not a cream of broccoli lover, we’ll include a recipe for broccoli cheese soup as an added bonus.
How to make broccoli and cheese soup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small to medium sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half (You can use whole or 2% milk, however this will reduce the creaminess).
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets, diced small + 1 cup stems (optional)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika (optional and to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder (optional and to taste)
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional and to taste)
- 8 ounces grated grass-fed organic extra strong cheddar cheese (save some for garnish)
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until the onion is golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring continuously to avoid burning. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- In a large, deep pot, add the remaining butter and flour, cooking over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat this mixture constantly until the flour thickens. The roux must be thick for the soup to have the proper consistency.
- Gradually add the vegetable or chicken broth, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add half and half or milk, also stirring continuously.
- Simmer the roux over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until reduced and thickened more. Beat occasionally to prevent skin from forming on top.
- While the roux simmers, chop the broccoli and carrots. After it simmers for 15 to 20 minutes, add the broccoli and carrots. Also, mix the onion and garlic from the other pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and optional paprika, dry mustard powder, and cayenne pepper. These seasonings are not necessary, but they add flavor to the soup. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until reduced and thickened once more. Beat occasionally to blend the skin that forms on top.
- While the soup is simmering, begin to grate the cheese. We recommend buying a good quality cheese because it will give your soup the maximum flavor. Avoid using pre-grated cheese because it doesn’t melt well and will affect the consistency of the soup.
- Simmer for another 20-25 minutes, adding most of the cheese. Reserve a small portion for garnish. Add cheese until melted and completely mixed with soup, or about 1 minute.
Both soups can be kept airtight in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. To reheat, microwave over medium heat, stirring occasionally, or heat over medium-high heat on the stove. Both broccoli cheese and broccoli cream are easy to make and require an hour or less to cook.
No matter what season it is, sometimes you fancy a bowl of hot soup. Broccoli cheese or Cream of broccoli It is an excellent comfort food to eat all year round. Best of all, you don’t need to be a five-star chef to make them. Let us know how you like this recipe in the comments!