Retired Britons have revealed their top 40 ‘pearls of wisdom’ to pass on to younger generations, including saying “I love you” more often and having confidence in your own skin.
The survey of 1,000 retired adults also advises young people never to compare themselves with others and to call their family once a week.
Others warned younger people to enjoy their youth, exercise more often, and step out of their comfort zone.
The questionnaire found that 67% of retirees have regrets, such as not traveling the world (44%), worrying about what other people think (43%), and not staying physically fit (40%).
A spokesperson for Voltarol, who commissioned the survey, said: “It has certainly been interesting to see the knowledge and wisdom that the older generation would pass on to the youth of today.
“Much of the perception revolves around enjoying life, respecting others and being the best you can be, which I am sure most would agree with.
“It was particularly fascinating to see how the older generation would recommend appreciating their younger body and wishing they had been physically fit.”
The survey also found that remembering their childhood years, older retirees miss hot summers (37%, playing outside until street lights come on (36%) and family vacations (30%).
The study also revealed that retirees would like to give more practical advice, such as signing up for a company pension plan, saving for retirement in their twenties, and investing in property.
Regardless of ability, 89% said they could be older, but young at heart.
And one in 10 has tried yoga or tai chi since retiring, 23% have gone to concerts and 29% have acquired a community garden, showing that there is always time to pursue new hobbies and interests.
TOP 40 TIPS RETIRED BRITISANS WOULD GIVE YOUNGER GENERATIONS
1. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself
2. Manners cost nothing
3. Always do your best
4. Accept a company pension plan if it is offered
5. Don’t spend all your time on social media and live in the real world.
6. Start saving for retirement in your twenties.
7. Don’t take anything for granted
8. You don’t have to go to college to have a successful career.
9. Hold on to those closest to you
10. Be confident in your own skin
11. Respect your elders
12. Enjoy your youth
13. Never give up
14. Do what makes you happy
15. Family comes first
16. Don’t waste your time with jealousy
17. Don’t compare yourself to others.
18. Don’t fall asleep with an argument
19. Invest in a property
20. Call your parents every week
21. Say I love you more
22. Do not regret
23. Don’t worry about the little things
24. Spend more time outdoors
25. Exercise more often
26. Never go to bed angry
27. Laugh more of everything
28. Be more patient
29. Be more confident
30. If you don’t ask, you won’t get
31. Do not compare your style with that of others.
32. Appreciate your younger body
33. Try something new
34. Don’t take things personally
35. Spend more time with children
36. Get out of your comfort zone
37. Don’t overdo it
38. Call your grandparents every week
39. Remember the compliments you receive
40. Less is more
SHARE these pearls of wisdom with your friends …