Do you enjoy chocolate and caramel desserts? If so, you will love this delicious homemade recipe that tastes like a chocolate bar! (And with a lot less toppings too!) The filling contains peanut butter, so if you’re a fan of PBs, you’re in for a treat too.
Just a word of caution though: if you have a sweet tooth, you may find these highly addictive chocolate candy bars! But, as with anything in life, moderation is key. If you’ve been craving something sweet lately, why not try these homemade bars? They take a few hours to prepare as they require refrigeration to harden, but it is well worth the wait.
We hope you enjoy this recipe!
How to make your own decadent chocolate candy bars:
Are you ready to make this delicious treat?
Kitchen tools you will need:
- A large mixing bowl
- Large rectangular baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Big pot
- Wooden spoon
- Big knife
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 spoon of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups peanut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 2 cups dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Dried cranberries
- To make the crust for the chocolate candy bars, take the bowl and pour in the coconut flour. Next, add the tapioca flour and use a whisk to mix them together.
- Now, pour in the maple syrup and the melted coconut oil. After adding the vanilla and salt, use a whisk or fork to combine the ingredients.
- Next, pour the crust onto a large parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use your hands to spread it evenly, patting it until there are no gaps. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Now is the time to make the chocolate candy bar filling. Take a large pot and add the peanut butter. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and coconut oil. Turn the heat to low and stir the ingredients until completely combined.
- When the mixture resembles soup, turn off the heat and pour the filling on top of the base. Move the pan so the filling completely covers the crust. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Wash the pan and then use it to cook its top layer. Pour the dark chocolate into the pot along with the coconut oil. Use a spatula to stir the mixture while the heat is low.
- Once it’s melted, pour the final layer over the filling. Now, take out your ingredients for the last step.
- You can spread all the toppings evenly over the chocolate candy bars or separate them. We decided to cover 1/4 of the bars in almonds, 1/4 in hazelnuts, 1/4 in raisins, and the rest in dried cranberries.
- Again, refrigerate the bars for 1 hour. Now, use your knife to cut the bars into rectangular pieces. When you’re done, you should have around 32 bars, 8 bars from each topping. Now dive in and enjoy your delicious homemade chocolate candy bars!
Tips for making the best chocolate candy bars on the block:
- Make sure to press the crust firmly before baking. This ensures that you will not have a flaky scab peeling off you. You can even use the bottom of a measuring cup or spoon to help you.
- If you find that the bars have not fully hardened after an hour, refrigerate them overnight. You definitely don’t want to cut them before they’re done.
- Not a fan of the ingredients we suggest? Without worries! You can choose from many others, such as coconut flakes, walnuts, or peanut butter chips.
- Choose smooth peanut butter for the filling, as it is easier to melt than the chunky options.
- If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, you can always make a different filling. We made a “caramel” filling in our own way to use fewer ingredients, but if you prefer to follow the original recipe, we listen to you.
- To make your own caramel, you will need butter, salt, sugar, corn syrup, and evaporated milk. Melt all the ingredients except the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture boils, slowly add the evaporated milk. Pour into the pan and refrigerate immediately. For more detailed instructions, you can follow this recipe.
Other chocolate and caramel dessert ideas
Can’t get enough fudge? If you want to use any additional ingredients, you can also try these recipes:
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. This one is pretty similar to what we made, except you’ll be using chocolate chips instead of a thick layer of pure chocolate.
- Frozen turtle brownies or a turtle cake. One of the most famous chocolate caramel desserts out there, turtle brownies or a cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Chocolate fudge with caramel. This puts a twist on the traditional fudge, adding more flavor and decadence to every bite.
- Chocolate caramel cream cake. This easy no-bake dessert is rich, creamy, and requires only a few ingredients. After all, it’s hard to turn down a slice of chocolate cake!
- Chocolate cookies with caramel cream. If you’re a fan of chocolate chip cookies, you’ll love them even more with the sticky caramel filling.
Final thoughts on these decadent homemade chocolate candy bars
It can’t be much better in life than having chocolate and caramel in a recipe. This is why you will love these bars because they combine the best of both worlds! Whether you make the caramel filling in the recipe or a more traditional filling, this recipe will not disappoint. We know it’s hard, but try not to eat them all at once! (However, we won’t judge if you don’t want to share.)
On a hot summer day, these frozen candy bars really hit the spot. If you do, let us know how you like them in the comments!