How to Make a Mason Jar from Fairy Lights
Did you know that you can turn a glass jar into a work of wall art? If you like arts and crafts, you will love this little project! Today, we will show you how you can make a glass jar with colored lights. Whether you are a newbie or an expert in craft making, we guarantee that you will have fun with this DIY project.
Decorating your home doesn’t have to mean spending tons of money on expensive items. Sometimes it is more meaningful and satisfying to do things yourself anyway. Doing something with your own hands brings a sense of accomplishment and also gets the creative juices flowing. Not to mention, with all the craziness in the world, concentrating your mind on an art project provides a nice escape for a while.
Without further ado, let’s get into this fun mason jar light project!
How to make a mason jar with colored lights:
Are you ready to squeeze your creative juices? Go!
What you will need:
- Small bowl
- Cutting board
- Print a clip art image of a mason jar
- Wood staining solution (whatever you prefer)
- Fairy lights
- Pair of scissors
- Nails and hammer
- Thin piece of black rope
- Some fake flowers (or any decorations you want)
- First, fill a small bowl almost to the brim with water.
- Pour some wood stain into the container. Mix with a spoon or paint stirrer.
- Next, take a kitchen sponge and tear off the rough side. Then use scissors to cut it in half.
- Dip the sponge in the wood stain solution and apply it to the cutting board. Use vertical motions, making sure to spread the solution completely all over the board.
- You may want to use multiple coats depending on how dark you would like to stain the wood. Let it dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- After it has completely dried, grab your mason jar clip art. Position it toward the bottom of the cutting board and tape the edges to hold it in place.
- Take about 40-45 long, thin nails together with your hammer. Space the nails evenly around the glass jar image, one-quarter to one-half inch apart. Punch them on the cutting board halfway, making sure to leave room for the colored lights.
- Next, remove the tape from the picture and then remove the nail clipping.
Now comes the fun part!
- Take your colored lights and cross them in the pattern you want on the bottom of the jar (everything except the lid). Obviously you’ll want to make sure you pick a short strand of highlights for this project.
- Finally, use the thin piece of string or string to outline the mason jar. Wrap it around the bottom first, then around the top of the lid. Next, wrap it around the bottom of the cap and tie it in a bow. Cut the rope if it hangs too much.
- And now the final touches. We use artificial flowers to decorate the mason jar art, but you can use whatever you want. If you opt for flowers, glue them under the string and lights, all the way to the bottom of the jar.
- Lastly, take a piece of tape and place it on the back of the cutting board towards the bottom. This is where you will place the colored lights mechanism.
- Peel off the tape, stick the lights switch on the back and turn them on. Voila! Congratulations on creating your own mason jar from colored lights.
Most people use colored lights to line their bedroom ceiling to create a warm and bright atmosphere. They certainly look good this way, but if you’re looking for more subtle lighting, the mason jar idea works well. Plus, add a touch of art to any room and you’ll feel better knowing you made it yourself.
Want some fairy light ideas? Here are seven fun tips:
- Create a fake fire. If you don’t use your fireplace but want the feel of a fire, colored lights are an amazing alternative. Place them in a clean fireplace, stacking them to look like fire. Add tea lights to amplify the effect.
- Add lighting to your decorations. Have a great decor piece that you think could use some sprucing up? Wrap your fairy lights around it!
- Place them on your headboard or cascade them from the ceiling behind your headboard to create a magical fairyland effect.
- Place them in a glass jar to create your own modern chandelier.
- Go up and down a ladder to illuminate the stairs at night.
- Want to make your table more festive but don’t want a fire hazard? Place fairy lights around the table instead of using candles.
- Decorate your patio or garden by placing some in a glass jar. It will really light up your garden at night and create a relaxing atmosphere.
Other ways to use mason jars:
Many people use mason jars as vases or even toothbrush holders! Here are some more interesting ways to use them.
1. Use them as drink coasters! Remove the covers and cut pieces of fabric to place inside. Making homemade coasters is as simple as that.
2. Create stained glass with a glass jar.
3. Use them as planters for small plants like succulents!
4. Do you have an extra mason jar or two lying around? Use them as containers for spices or sugar.
5. Are you in the mood to get really creative? You can even use mason jars as vanity lights!
Final thoughts on how to make a colored light mason jar
There are so many arts and crafts projects to choose from. If you’ve been looking for your next project, Consider making this colored light mason jar! It only requires a few household ingredients, plus wood stain, and it’s easy to make. The mason jar made of lights will definitely amaze your guests and add a creative touch to any room.
If you do this, please share the result with us in the comments!