It’s a big fashion faux pas to wear your scarf the same way all the time — especially when there are so many cool ways to maximize this accessory. Here are some stylish ways to wear a scarf around your neck and switch things up.
In this article:
- Square Blanket Scarf
- The Muffler
- The Fake Knot
- The Bow
- The European Classic or Loop
- The European Loop with a Twist
- The Double Scarf Boho Tie
Ways to Wear a Scarf to Amp Up Your Winter Look!
1. Square Blanket Scarf
It’s true, time flies by fast. Just last month, we were all over the place looking for fall fashion trends…
And now.. winter is coming (alright, that line is definitely from Game of Thrones). This square blanket scarf should go well with your winter ensemble, one of the ways to wear a scarf on head, plus it’s super easy to wear.
- Fold your blanket scarf in half to make a triangular shape and create a lengthier material to work on.
- Hold both ends of your blanket scarf and cross them behind your head, so that both ends go back around the front.
- Tuck the ends under the scarf and give it a fluff to get the look you like.
Wear this square blanket scarf during colder weather while hanging out or when doing chores outdoors!
2. The Muffler
Probably one of the most fashionable ways to tie your scarf is the muffler way. It is super simple yet very cute.
If you have a sheer and soft scarf material to work with, this trick is perfect. It’s one of the ways to wear a scarf as a top.
- You need to hold one end of a square scarf.
- Then hold the other end across.
- Make a knot by tying both ends twice
- Wear the scarf over your head with the knotted part hidden at the back of your neck.
- Don’t forget to fluff it nicely.
3. The Fake Knot
This fake knot is perfect for long scarves and great to wear with a casual outfit. With four simple steps, you get a whole new way of wearing a scarf.
- You simply slide your scarf over your shoulders and adjust the length so the left side of the scarf hanging in front of you is longer than the other side.
- Tie a knot on the side where the scarf is longer.
- Loosen the knot.
- Lastly, simply slide the other end of the scarf into the knot.
4. The Bow
If you want to be unique, the bow is an interesting and stylish way you can wear your scarf. This style is pretty simple, but best suited to long rectangular scarves.
A simple jeans and cardigan or sweater ensemble can look more elegant with the bow style of wearing a scarf.
5. The European Classic or Loop
This is probably the easiest and simplest way to wear a scarf around your neck other than simply throwing a scarf around it. But if it’s good enough for celebrities, it’s perfect enough for this list.
We can see why celebrities, men and women alike, wear their scarf the European way. It’s pretty straightforward and you can wear it to the center or off to one side as one of the ways to wear a scarf as a shawl.
6. The European Loop with a Twist
Celebrities may don the European loop, but it can get boring sometimes. Giving it a little tweak will definitely shake things up.
It’s pretty handy to know how to wear a winter scarf the classic European way. From this technique, you can easily learn a few more tweaks, like this European loop with a twist.
Instead of a bulky loop to your front, you get a stylish and artsy pattern in the tradition of a macrame knot.
7. The Double Scarf Boho Tie
This technique is perfect for winter especially if you’re left with thinner scarves and you need to wear an extra to keep toasty and warm. It is also an occasion to wear more colors and rock a vibrant fashion statement even in winter.
Having trouble to wear your blanket scarf? Watch this video from The DIY Designer and learn how to style it in 15 ways:
Scarves are probably one accessory we will always have in our closet. If you don’t have one, then you better get one or two!
It’s a handy accessory, no matter what the season is. These different stylish ways to wear a scarf should help level up your look!
Which of these ways to wear a scarf are you looking to sport this season? Tell us all about it in the comments section below!
- Cute Outfits For Winter | The Ultimate Guide For Holiday Party Looks
- 14 Fall Fashion Trends & How To Wear Them
- 13 Updo Hairstyle Tutorials For Medium-Length Hair
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on March 3, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.