Self-control or willpower is essential when it comes to controlling your anger. If you can’t control your emotions, chances are you will do or say something that you will later regret. Additionally, lashing out in anger can seriously affect your chances of success.
You must learn to control these emotions so that they do not interfere with your life. When you can control yourself in these situations, you will benefit by strengthening your character. You can also release anger much easier if your reaction was positive.
Self-control involves controlling impulsive reactions and thinking before acting or speaking. It also means that you can control powerful emotions like anger. Most importantly, it helps you make decisions in your best interest rather than those that could harm you.
While developing this quality may take some work, it is possible and only gets easier the more you do it. Your self-discipline will grow and eventually it will be easy and natural to control your emotions. The following quotes will help you the next time you need the motivation to stay calm.
Quotes about self-control
1. “Stop allowing people who do so little for you to control your mind, your feelings and your emotions.” – Will Smith
Letting those negative feelings take over won’t do you any good and it won’t make you feel better. When you let them turn you on, it disrupts your well-being and can have other negative effects.
2. “Self-control is one of the characteristics of a mature person; it applies to the control of language, the physical treatment of others, and the body’s appetites. “- Joseph B. Wirthlin
When you can control the words you use and how you treat others, you will have self-control. This shows maturity, as Wirthlin explains. Remember this when you get angry and it will help you control your reaction.
3. “Controlling rash reactions, impatience, and anger goes a long way toward mastering yourself and gaining inner strength and self-discipline.” – Remez Sasson
Self-discipline grows the more you use it. So when you can control the reactions that arise from anger or impatience, you will be strengthening your character. Eventually, you will have dominated so perfectly that it will come completely natural.
4. “Never respond to an angry person with a fiery response, even if he deserves it … Don’t let your anger become your anger.” – Bohdi Sanders
When you let an angry person affect you in this way, you are allowing their emotion to infect you as well. This makes them successful in disturbing your peace. If you can ignore their behavior, you can instead manage your emotions better.
5. “Self-control is a key factor in achieving success. We can’t control everything in life, but we can definitely control ourselves. “- Jan McKingley Hilado
If you let anger take over, you are hampering your chances of success. Being in control of yourself is essential for a successful person, as Yarn explains.
There will be situations that will test your control frequently, so remember this. Remember to stay calm and control your emotions as you work towards success.
6. “You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude towards what happens to you, and in that, you will dominate the change instead of allowing it to dominate you.” – Brian Tracy
It is impossible to control other people and other situations. As Tracy explains, you can only control the way you react to what happens. Your reaction is the key to taking control or letting it control you.
7. “What is done bitterly with uncontrolled anger cannot be undone.” – Vinod Varghese Antony
The things you do when you are angry are the things you often regret. Unfortunately, you can’t get them back and the damage has already been done. If you can remember this when you are angry, you are more likely to be in control.
8. “Self-control is the main element of self-respect, and self-respect is the main element of courage.” – Thucydides
To have self-respect, you must have self-control. Similarly, if you respect yourself, you will develop courage. With courage, you will find a way to express your anger in a positive and find a solution.
9. “Confronting your enemy in anger feeds your ego but lowers your chances of success.” – Shon Mehta
While it can make you feel powerful to express your anger in a confrontational way, it does more harm than good. It stimulates your ego but interferes with success. To be successful, you must demonstrate control and the ability to hold back when you are angry.
10. “I consider the one who conquers his desires more courageous than the one who conquers his enemies; because the hardest victory is over oneself. “- Aristotle
When you get angry, it is natural to want to give in to anger. You may want to lash out, but it’s more of a victory to contain that desire. When you can do this, you have shown courage and control over yourself.
11. “Speak up when you’re angry and you’ll give the best speech you’ll regret.” – Ambrose Bierce
When people are angry, they tend to say hurtful things that they don’t mean. This damage may be irreparable and you will never be able to take back what you have said. Remember this when you feel angry and save any conversation for when you have calmed down.
12. “Anger is just anger. Not good. Not bad.It just is. What you do with it is what matters. It is like anything else. You can use it to build or destroy. You just have to make the decision. “- Jim Butcher
Anger doesn’t have to be good or bad as long as you can control it. Everyone feels angry sometimes, and that’s okay. What is not right is what you do with that anger.
You can use it positively or negatively, but it is up to you to make that decision. This is where willpower will come in handy because using it positively can improve anger. It is when you give in to anger and use it negatively that it is bad.
13. “Anger is one of the powerful emotions humans are meant to feel, and it’s all very well, but when it becomes too much and we let it control us, it can become destructive.” – Adrienne Blodgett
As explained before, anger can be good or bad. It all depends on the way you choose to react. When you let it control you instead of controlling it, it becomes a bad emotion.
14. “Self-control can be defined as the efforts made by a person to change thoughts, feelings and behaviors in order to achieve interests or long-term goals.” – Muraven and Baumeister
When you are angry, your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors need to be kept under control. If you can recognize and change any negative behavior, you will see better results than if you gave in.
15. “Friendly reminder. If you ever lose your temper, it’s your fault. Always. Your emotional responses are never the responsibility of any other human being. “- Thibaut
You can’t blame anything or anyone when you lose your temper. How you react to emotions is entirely up to you. If you lose your temper, it is because you did not have the willpower to control your anger.
It is important to remember this when you get angry. Before you lose your temper, remember that you can’t blame anyone other than yourself for your reaction. This may be the whole reminder that you need to show control over the situation and your emotions.
These self-control quotes to remember when feeling angry can help you overcome negative feelings associated with anger. When you get angry, you must decide how you will react. This reaction will determine whether the emotion will help you or hurt you even more.
You cannot allow anger to stop you or make you do or say something that you regret. If you do that, you will let the emotion control you. Instead, use it positively and find a solution to the problem.
When you can do that, you will be showing self-control, which will help you much more than give in to your will to anger. Remember these quotes the next time you feel angry. If you can remember them, you can choose the correct reaction to your anger.